Saturday, November 21, 2009

Mister

Dressed in a furry tuxedo, he wore black and white.
With large round eyes, up he would look, right into yours.
Squarely sitting down on his back legs, his blunt and crooked tail tucked under.

He was a dog, of course, and he couldn't speak.
But, with those triangle ears he could tell a story.
One up, one down. Both forward, both back.
Those eyes..those eyes would change with them.

He loved me so, and on he would stare.

Up from the chair I rise, and down his front paws would go. Come on! Let's Play!

That look, ears back, jaws open with a smile, a little bit of slobber.
I feign my attention and pretend to walk past.
He sees me pause with my sideways glance, he knows what I'm up to.

With a yell I fly to the rug, I grab a leg- got him!

Across the floor we go, growling and yelling, a biting and kicking dog in my arms.
With a squeal he bites my thumb, and through the pain I laugh and release him.
With one leap to the couch, he's victorious, ready for more, and I'm laughing on the floor.

Mister, my beloved dog. I miss him.

No comments:

Post a Comment