Monday, May 5, 2014

A Rhinoceros at My Table

I wouldn't let him in if I was able, but I'm not going to stand in front of him.  It's impossible.
The first time I tried that he crashed through the door as if it wasn't there.
Though I know why he's here.  He's here for me.
So, he barges in when he chooses and takes a seat at the head of my table in front of everyone,
and dominates the discussion, and speaks before asked.
But, pauses at the right moment, all confident and knowing,
that all of us know....just what I don't want to admit.
Needling me, needling me tonight while he brings up the subject with glee anyway, pointing his horn and glaring to me.
At first I'm stubborn and my lips don't move.
But the rest are watching him, and me.
so to break the awkwardness I give in.........

"I can't control my love and it has gone its own way.  It has had its own say and now I have to make a choice."  That's all I say.

He looks at me with an impatient wince, but gives a friend's nod.  "Aha! There it is!  I know who you are, and I remember who you were.  What gives?" He said.

"I know what you're trying to say, but you're a rhinoceros.  What could possibly hurt you?  Look at me..I'm not" I said.

"Ha! I completely agree" he swung his chin up high and looked back down to me.  "I am a rhinoceros, and I could hurt you!  And, I just barge in without a care.  Can you stop me? No.  I just show up and take a seat at your table.  I take from your plate and you actually like it.  Think about it.  More wine please."


No comments:

Post a Comment